Thursday, July 05, 2007

Broadband Update

We've transitioned from DSL to Cable internet because the DSL was just too darned slow. I download a lot of podcasts and I noticed that the download time was taking longer and longer, as if the ISP was throttling down the speed based on the amount of downloads. Well I didn't appreciate this in the least, since all I ever downloaded is podcasts and it's not everyday this occurs.

Thus far the cable has been totally fantastic. My downloads are completed in lightning fast time and there haven't been any glitches. I pretty much turn off everything when I'm away (I have everything set up on timers), so the service can't be abused. Installation was a breeze and the tech arrived on time.

The one thing he wouldn't do was connect the cable modem to the router. I guess corporate wants the customer to buy/rent the router from them. No problem though, since I set up the network I know how to configure things. My experience with Charter Communications, I've been a customer of theirs for over 20 years, has been positive. Sure I've had to call repair a few times, but they always keep their appointment and arrive on time.

No comments: