Friday, February 11, 2005

Films

I can't tell you how easily I ignored and became oblivious to the MPAA's ads in theaters featuring props people, etc. who are just like me and don't want me to jeopardize their jobs with film piracy. Of course, the mere fact that they assume I'm a thief to begin with, doesn't endear them to me or make me feel empathy for them. I have neither the time nor desire to copy DVDs or surreptishiously copy the film as I sit in the theater holding a jiggling camcorder. However, you also will not hear me admonishing others not to do so, especially after being treated the way I have been by the MPAA. I shouldn't have to sit through an insulting commercial after paying $10 for a movie ticket.

Have you noticed the latest trend? Catch it early, folks, new DVD releases are sold for an average of $15 on release Tuesday and/or the first week of release. Thereafter, the MPAA is up to its old tricks, the DVD skyrockets to an average $19.99 and as high as $21.99. I'm not paying $19.99 for a DVD, I don't care how much like it. Just one year ago, early 2004, even the new releases could be found for $15 months after release. The industry did this with video releases and now that they feel consumers are enthralled by the DVD's extra features, they figure we're suckers for spending a minimum $4 more per DVD. Sometimes, it's as much as $6.

Wake up and answer them with your money - hang onto it! Once DVD sales begin to wane, they'll have to lower the prices to entice us to buy. Many of us are skilled in this technique, especially during holiday sales. Who says it's effective only during the holidays? Use it year round, people. Another thing I resent is having to wade through commercials for upcoming DVD releases or new film releases. Disney, in particular, is notorious for not allowing folks to skip past them or return to the
menu.

No comments: